Welcome to my crazy life

This is a blog of a single mom trying to make it in the world. Come share the ups and downs with me.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bigot? I think not.

So yesterday I was at the U of A football game with my friend C. We were having a good time and generally being goof balls. Then I brought up to her that the wife of one of the accountants in the group that I work with had deleted me from her face book page. She had posted an article about Robert Pattenson (sp?) the guy who is in the Twilight movie. I am not a big fan of the Twilight books because first of all I am too old for teen romance novels and secondly, I think that what they have done with the vampires isn't good. The idea of a vampire falling in love with a mortal is just wrong. I know that in Bram Stoker's Dracula that Dracula falls in love with a mortal, but she is the re-incarnated version of the woman he loved before he was a vampire. And anyways they didn't have a torrid love affair that spans many books. (I digress...)

The trouble began when I posted a comment to her link to the Pattenson story. I simply asked why it is that the new generation of vampires are kinda gay. She and one of her friends took high offense to that and she deleted the story that she posted and deleted me from her friends list. She didn't mention anything to me and I assumed that she was just sensitive about the fact that I didn't like the Twilight books. It struck me as juvenile, but I blew it off. That is until yesterday. I mentioned the incident to my friend C, who is a fellow co-worker and friend to the woman who deleted me. I guess that the real issue she had with my post was that she thought that I was gay bashing. Yes, you heard me right, gay bashing. Now at first I was laughing my ass off about that. Obviously, I am not a gay basher or a bigot. Almost all of my friends from college are gay and I even receive the Wingspan newsletter and am going to go through their training at some point about helping young lesbians and gays. This is a subject that I am quite passionate about for sure, but in the direct opposite direction that she accused me of.

At first I laughed about the idea of me as a bigot. The idea is ludicrous. However today I started to get angry. That is a very serious accusation to make about someone, especially someone who does not even know you. And for her to tell other people that I work around... that is serious. How dare she tell other people that, particularly when she doesn't know me. I think that I should avoid her and her nasty allegations. Honestly I don't want to be seen with people like that whether they are on the same side of the fence as me or not.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    You know, sometimes things hit me on a "sensitive day", like 2 of my new friends on my blog thoroughly pissed me off when I commented on something they wrote, and I was having a "sensitive day" so I got angry and retorted, and then I got over myself and now love them to pieces.

    Sounds like this woman was having a "sensitive day" and couldn't take someone not quite agreeing with her.

    Talk about holding a grudge.

    ReplyDelete